Built by the Taiwanese Navy in 1951, Zuoying’s Zhongshan Hall is representative of modern theaters and assembly spaces at the time of its construction. Symmetrical concrete bodies, a large French window in the facade, and anchor decorations fully illustrate modernism and the naval spirit. In the early days, Zhongshan Hall was located in a military controlled area. At that time, the hall was mostly used to for Zuoying Naval Base troop gatherings, movie screening, and recreational purposes. By the 1960s, the hall opened to the public for movie screenings. With an increase in the number of visitors, a commercial center formed in the surrounding area. In 1962, the Navy built Zhongzheng Hall (Cultural and Recreational Center), with Zhongshan Hall and Zhongzheng Hall respectively showing second-run Taiwanese movies and second-run Western movies. In 2009 and 2012, Zhongshan Hall and Zhongzheng Hall were closed, respectively. Zhongshan Hall is currently transitioning into a Chinese opera art center for the city.