Architechture 044：Fongshan, Zuoying, and Gangshan District Military Dependents’ Villages
After 1937, the introduction of political doctrine Nanshin-ron led to a large-scale deployment of troops to Kaohsiung, such as the construction of a navy port for the in Zuoying, an air force team in Gangshan, and a army base in Fongshan. Concurrently, the necessary residential buildings for officials were built. Most of these military dependents’ villages have been registered and preserved as cultural landscapes, whereas other valuable buildings have been registered as historic buildings or monuments. The Gangshan Xing Village is one of the few remaining worker dormitories used by the 61st Naval Aviation Plant. Some of its buildings feature nail-fastened wooden roofs, rare in Taiwan and is built using construction methods introduced during the war to cover large spaces. By contrast, Lequn Village is Taiwan’s last surviving living quarters used by senior officials of the Japanese naval aviation team. The overall planning of the village, the garden landscapes of the government buildings, the architectural patterns, and building materials (e.g., Formosan cypresses) were all carefully selected.