Cishan Old Street is formerly known as Fanshuliao Street. During the Qing Dynasty, camps were set up in Fanshuliao Street that developed into large-scale Han settlements which became Fanshuliao townhall during early Japanese rule. With Takasago Sugar Co., Ltd. building a sugar mill in Ciwei, and the construction of the Ciwei line railway, as well as the water conservancy and agricultural projects in neighboring areas, Fanshuliao Street is one of the earliest streets in the area converted to Kaohsiung City jurisdiction, with Zhongshan Road as one of its most representative streets. After the street development was completed in accordance to the "Taiwan House Construction Regulations" issued in 1900, "Tingzijiao" structures were installed on both sides of the street. The earliest appearance of these stone arched pavilions can be traced back to 1910, whereas buildings with delicate gray archway facades were built around 1920-1930s.