Yamagataya Bookstore was located in the main commerce area of Kaohsiung Station (near Takao Railway Museum) and became a well-known store at the time. The bookstore published and sold a series of painted Kaohsiung leaflets (postcards) which documented the city’s images during Japanese rule that have now become a precious historical asset. Yamagataya Bookstore opened in 1912, and was originally a wooden building. In 1922 a two-story building was rebuilt in red brick and became the Yamagataya Bookstore we see today. The roof was originally flat, but now renovated into a hipped roof. The building enjoys a corner location and features a distinguished gable facade that rises in the middle and slopes on both sides. The word "yamagata" means "mountain" in Japanese which became the building's namesake, and made a lasting impression on generations of customers in the past.