In 1883, the Navy’s deputy general Wang Fu-lu, hired a British engineer to build a brick lighthouse south of the port on Chihou Mountain. The lighthouse housed a single core fixed light with a projected beam of approximately 10 miles. During the Japanese era, with the port’s continuous progress, the lighthouse’s faint projection became relatively insufficient. In 1916, the official construction of a new lighthouse began, opening two years later as the first electric lighthouse facility in Taiwan. Kaohsiung Lighthouse is a brick structure built partially with reinforced concrete. The main building is an octagonal lighthouse connected to the square office space. Its appearance shows Western influence, with the cut lines imitating stonework and decorative arches, window sills and a horizontal belt, creating a sense of solid stability. A triangular gable sits on the center of the façade, with wall columns and double brackets to emphasize the entrance image. Sadly, most of the original decorative molding was lost to post-war renovations; only the base of the original lamp house remains. In 1926 it was converted into a minimalistic designed two-story secondary light, with historical traces only seen in the entrance threshold and balcony brackets.