Fongyi Academy is the most complete academy architecture in Taiwan, and superior in terms of architectural scale and artistic performance. Fongyi Academy is a model example of Qing Dynasty architecture. It was founded in 1814 (19th year of Qing Jiaqing), proposed by the county magistrate Wu Xian-cheng and funded by local officials and merchants. Local licentiate Zhang Ting-qin supervised its construction. The academy was renovated in 1891 (Guangxu 17th year) and served as part of the Japanese Army’s Garrison Hospital, then functioned as a sericulture farm durinf Japanese rule. The building was covered by illegal extensions after the war.
The architectural and decorative features of Fongyi Academy is elegant, with rustically carved stone thresholds and the round pillar bases. Pointed wooden rafters under the building’s eaves are a defining characteristic of the Qianlong and Jiaqing period that differs from late Qing architecture. The wooden structure of Fongyi Academy is simple, its carving art style simple and elegant, emphasizing a solemn learning environment. The overall space is light and airy, and is a rare and complete representation of traditional academy architecture.
Cao Gong Shrine in housed in Fongyi Academy to commemorate the Qing Dynasty Fongshan County magistrate Cao Jin. During his tenure, Cao built "Cao Gong Canal" to irrigate more than 30,000 acres of land, which was crucial to agricultural development in Fongshan. Its impact was profound. Although there is also a Cao Gong Temple on Cao Gong Road in Fongshan, the earliest commemoration of Cao Jin’s public service was set in Fongyi Academy, honoring Cao Jin’s contribution to the people of Fongshan County.